An Attitude of Gratitude
This past weekend The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints held its Semi-Annual General Conference. During five 2-hour meetings over the course of Saturday and Sunday, leaders of the Church (including the prophet and the twelve apostles) gave talks on various topics relating to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I just wanted to share my thoughts on the talk that President Monson, current prophet of the Church, gave on Sunday morning. If you want to read/listen/view the talk yourself, please go here. (You’ll find this talk listed last under the Sunday Morning session).
First, this topic is certainly not a new one, but I was glad to be reminded of how important gratitude is. President Monson shared the story of the 10 lepers who were healed by Jesus and how only one of them thought to go back and thank the Lord for the great blessing of his healing. I’m guilty of that sometimes. I will pray for blessings or help or inspiration and then forget to say thanks when those prayers are answered. Surely I am grateful, yet the act of expressing thanks makes such a difference in the heart and soul. Pres. Monson taught that expressing gratitude opens the heavens to us, allowing us to feel the love Heavenly Father has for us.
Things I am grateful for this day:
- Despite almost six months of unemployment last year, we managed to stay out of debt and meet all our financial obligations
- We have permanent employment again, including health benefits
- Despite a number of accidents over the last year or so, no one has been seriously injured
- We have a comfortable home and plenty to eat
- Our kids have good schools to attend
- We have had opportunities to serve in church and develop new talents (I’m thinking of my piano playing here!)
- We have wonderful family who support us and love us and spend time with us
- We have cars that work and are reliable
- We have good friends
- We have been inspired in finding help for Andrew
- We have newly refinished floors (and I’m so loving them!)
- Yard work is almost over for the year
- The weather is beautiful right now – cool in the mornings, warm during the day
- I belong to a church that is led by a living prophet who speaks with God